Above It All: Flood Insurance and Hi-Rises

Flood Insurance

Q: I’m just getting ready to close on a great condo that’s everything I ever wanted. It’s in an awesome neighborhood and the beach is right there when I walk out on the balcony. There’s also a very puzzling requirement that my lender has for a unit on the 16th floor. If there’s a flood that can hit the 16th floor, it’s safe to say that the world has ended and there’s nobody to call to file a claim. You guys had some really good reviews, can you help me?

A: Don’t worry! We get this one a lot. Flood insurance is a complex issue, and we’re here to walk you through it.

Your condominium is built in a high risk area, just by virtue of being a waterfront property. Your homeowners association already has a flood insurance policy called an RCBAP, which stands for Residential Condominium Building Association Policy. This covers the building, outbuildings like parking structures, common areas, and property owned in common, such as the furnishings of the clubhouse or fitness center. It also covers what makes a building a building, such as the foundations and systems like plumbing, electrical, HVAC that are on the other side of the drywall.

Now, that being said, everything else is your problem. The building’s policy does not cover your personal property. If you have a federally backed mortgage, you are required to carry flood insurance. You can get out of the requirement by switching to a lender who does not have federal backing, but this is a shortsighted move that can cost you in the event of all hell breaking loose. Insurance pays for damages, but federal aid that covers uninsured losses is a grant that has to be repaid.

In the event of a bad flood, your building may be uninhabitable or even too dangerous to enter. If an evacuation order is issued, and the area is a major disaster, it may be some time before you are allowed back in. In extreme cases, beach erosion can undermine foundations, and the roads might be entirely washed away. You may not be able to recover personal items or household goods. While we’ve been lucky to avoid major storms, Florida has a long history of acting as a hurricane highway, and many of the newer buildings – though built to code – have never been tested by a hurricane, or even a tropical storm. We’ve had a long lull, but it can’t last forever.

Now, before you think that insurance agents are all Gloomy Gus, it’s our job to consider the bad things that can happen and get you covered. There is insurance available to high-rise condominium owners, and you might not take that much of a hit. Come and see us, and we’ll get you the best coverage for your situation.


Whether you are looking to insure your automobile, home, mobile home, motorcycle, watercraft, or if you need coverage for your business such as general liability, workers compensation, commercial auto, E&L Insurance has you covered! Let’s face it! Shopping for insurance can be a grueling process. Here at E&L Insurance, we focus on counseling customers on the best coverage options, at the best possible rates. What makes us different from other agents? As an independent insurance agency, we are appointed and represent the most reputable insurance companies in Florida. This allows us to provide more options, at a higher level of service that other agents cannot offer. Our customer service representative are here to help you in all your insurance needs. Call us today at 888-700-4049 or visit www.eandlinsurance.com! Se Habla Español

Tagged with: ,
Posted in Flood Insurance

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: